Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The YBG Latest – 10/13/09

TYSON ON OPRAH ACTING A FOOL

Excerpts of Oprah Winfrey's interview with Mike Tyson on The Oprah Winfrey Show

For those who didn't see James Toback's critically acclaimed biographical documentary on Mike Tyson, Oprah Winfrey is giving an up-close-and-personal look at the former heavyweight boxing champion.

The media maven's intimate interview with "Iron Mike" will air on Oct. 12, and BV Newswire has learned that during the no-holds-barred chat no topic was off limits.

The Brooklyn-born pugilist talks candidly about it all, including his disastrous marriage and divorce from former TV star Robin Givens;his trial and three-year imprisonment for rape; his ear-biting bout with Evander Holyfield, the award-winning film 'Tyson,' which has generated Oscar buzz; and the tragic death of his daughter.

read more click here

Technorati Tags: oprah,mike tyson,black celebrity gossip,black gossip

Posted by Above da Rim at 9:10 AM 0 comments

Labels: black celebrity gossip

Reactions:

MARLON WAYONS AS RICHARD PRYOR

Marlon Wayans is in advanced talks to play comedy legend Richard Pryor in "Richard Pryor: Is It Something I Said?" for Adam Sandler's Happy Madison Productions and Sony Pictures.

The $20 million production will follow Pryor's controversial brand of comedy and his battle with drugs reports, Entertainment Weekly.

read more click here

Technorati Tags: Marlon wayons,Richard Pryor,black celebrity gossip,black gossip

Posted by Above da Rim at 9:00 AM 0 comments

Reactions:

NIA LONG FIRED FROM THE CLEVELAND SHOW

Nia Long Talks About Chris Rock Movie Good Hair and Being Replaced On The Cleveland Show

Coming out this week is 'Good Hair,' a wonderfully insightful and entertaining, yet remarkably serious, documentary about African American hair culture.

Directed by funnyman Chris Rock, the film explores hair salons and styling battles, scientific laboratories and Indian temples to explore the way black hairstyles impact the activities, pocketbooks, sexual relationships and self-esteem of black people.

Known for her roles in 'Soul Food,' 'The Best Man' and 'Love Jones,'Nia Long was among the celebrities who candidly offered her stories and observations to Rock.

read more click here

Technorati Tags: nia long,chris rock,good hair,cleveland show,black celebrity gossip,black gossip

Posted by Above da Rim at 9:00 AM 0 comments

Labels: black celebrity gossip

Reactions:

RAVEN SYMONE TALKS ABOUT “GOOD HAIR”

Hair Apparent caught up with one of our favorite hair girls -- Raven-Symoné. Though her show 'That's So Raven' is now in syndication, one of the things that riveted us to Raven, other than her outsize talent, was the fact that her hair miraculously transformed into chic cuteness each week.

When did you get your first perm?
”When I got my first perm it was April 11 and I was around 13 years old. My first like sew-in weave, I don't remember my age but I remember what kind. It was a curly and short and it had red streaks in it. I remember saying, oh my goodness, it's so much hair on my head. It was probably like 7 ounces. And I remember taking it out the same day. Now, I don't go out without 12 ounces. I'm totally addicted. But I have to say, I'm addicted for work. When it's time for me to work, I put my weave in and I like it to look cool but when I'm by myself at home, I wear my hair natural.”

read more click here

Technorati Tags: raven symone,good hair,black celebrity gossip,black gossip

Posted by Above da Rim at 9:00 AM 0 comments

Labels: black celebrity gossip

Reactions:

“Good Hair” Receives Some Criticism

by Alynda Wheat

Chris Rock’s documentary, Good Hair, opened Friday to mixed, but frequently positive, reviews. I’m going to take the painful stance of suggesting that’s because there aren’t a lot of black women in the film reviewing community. Good Hair is often funny, fascinating, and raises a few key ideas. What it doesn’t do is offer a cogent, relevant analysis of why black women relax their hair or wear hair extensions — which was supposed to have been the point.

Some background: Rock says he did the film because his daughter came to him one day, upset, that she didn’t have “good hair.” This apparently prompted the comedian to begin an odyssey that took him from the hair salons of New York City to a hair show in Atlanta, from Indian hair-shaving ceremonies, to the Beverly Hills salons that buy the Indian hair. But in all that conversation what you never hear are opposing viewpoints. Nearly everyone in Chris Rock’s movie seems to agree on a few critical ideas (that can happen when you limit your sample). Frankly, as a black woman, I sat through Good Hair with one dominant thought: Who are these people? Their opinions rarely represented my own, or those of anyone I know. I am but one voice in this vast, complicated community, but I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t say something. Here, a few of the ways Good Hair gets it entirely wrong.

Click here to read more.

Posted by LadyBaby at 6:45 AM 0 comments

Labels: "Good Hair", black gossip, black hair, celebrity gossip,chris rock

Reactions:

SMH: The Game Gets Sued by his Attorneys

by Moguldom

Compton's Most Wanted The Game is being sued by his attorneys who claim that he skipped on their lawyer fees.  His attorneys, Kinsella Weitzman Iser Kump & Aldsert filed a suit in L.A. County Superior Court claiming that The MC owes them $34,683.90.

The firm successfully represented the MC who only ended up serving eight days on what could have been a 5-year sentence.  The Game allegedly threatened a man with a gun during a basketball game and assaulted him as well.

In related news, The Game has reportedly ended his beef with his mentor Dr. Dre and was recently back in the lab working with Dre and Snoop on the long-awaited Detox album.  Only time will tell if the ten-year old promised will ever be released but in the meantime The Game's forth album, The R.E.D. Album is scheduled to hit stores in December.

Source

Posted by LadyBaby at 6:36 AM 0 comments

No comments: