Last Thursday I picked my 6 year old cousin up from school. After I picked her up from school we went to McDonalds. Six year old little girls are easily pleased with Happy Meals, so she had just that. Before she began to eat, I reminded her to say her grace.
She closed her eyes, and formed her little praying hands. When she was finish praying, she opened her eyes and said, “Shanelle you know what I asked for”? I said “no” and she said, “I asked God to bring Dr. Martin Luther King back to Life”. I replied, “That was nice”.
She began to tell me everything she learned in school about Dr. King. It was such a beautiful sight to see. I began to tell her how blessed she was be able to walk through the front door of an establishment. I informed her of the Birmingham Bombing killing 4 little girls.
She began to speak of Obama in a proud tone. I simply said, “Obama is King’s Dream”.
Black people have come a ways, but we have a long way to go. We are still at the bottom of too many lists. We need more black homeowners, college graduates, doctors and more.
So, many of our little black girls don’t see Disney world. I’m simply using the place metaphorically. Books in our children schools aren’t grade level. No child left behind, is leaving a whole lot of black children behind.
I attend a Historically Black College and the presence of the President doesn’t even warrant respect from my peers. “We have a ways to go”. Our black millionaires consist of rappers and others sources of entertainment. “We are a capable race”.
Our fathers are incarcerated, and there are a lot of hopeless black people who hasn’t been directed into the right direction. The Ghettos are full of Black people. Why aren’t our poor neighborhoods racially integrated?
We are more than statistics, Wal-Mart workers, and food servants. We are presidents, endocrinologist, poets, and more.
We have made a mark in this Land, but we have a ways to go. A long ways, for the generation ahead is different from those in the past. However; to Dr. King “the dream still lives”.
Happy Martin Luther King Day
Madam Prezident
Opportunity
An opportunity like this only comes once in a lifetime…
Barack Obama only comes Once in Our lifetime…
I’m not waiting on a next time, so I’ll make this moment my prime…
That’s why November 4, when it’s time to vote I’ll be the first on front line…..
Like soldiers in Iraq, and I’ll die for change, so I don’t need an entourage to have my back
I got the opportunity to go to the voting polls, and put my soul, into this is election…
To make sure Kings Dream is fulfilled while he’s resting
The Klu Klux Klan used their opportunity to burn down a Church which killed 4 little girls
So now we got the opportunity to put two black girls in the white house
Let them pick their rooms out, for the mothers and daughters of the Civil Rights
Movement who picked their husband caskets out
We aint anticipation, reparation, or a break on education
Jus a Change, a few more jobs, lower gas prices, AID Awareness
And maybe a lil Fairness
So Imma take the opportunity and run with it,
Cuz my heart desire a change like a played out rapper want a hit
Like most people will do anything for money I’ll do anything for this
I got the opportunity to go to the voting polls,
And put my soul into a CHANGE, or I can sit back not vote, and complain
But, I already know McCain will be a bigger Pain
An opportunity like this only comes once in a lifetime
Barack Obama only comes Once in Our lifetime
I’m not waiting on a next time, so I’ll make this moment my prime…
That’s why November 4, when it’s time to vote I’ll be on the front line…..
Like soldiers in Iraq
You got the same opportunity as me
What you going to do with that
Madam Prezident



No comments:
Post a Comment